Monday, January 25, 2010

My Great Experiment

There is a wonderful story by Vita Sackville-West about an elderly woman who after 30+ years of longing aquires her dream cottage and garden...if you are interested it is titled 'All Passion Spent'...I share much of her desire to make my home a sanctuary and refuge. This blog will be about that process. I recently rented a sweet little house on about 1/2 acre..I have a wonderful landlord who is open to just about anything I want to do here...and the rent is a dream come true.

I am no stranger to the self sufficient lifestyle. At various time I have lived off grid,gardened and done intensive food preservation...but it's been a while. My last intensive push for sustainability was for Y2K...and we all know how that turned out. I did keep up with some preps...canning, a little gardening etc. But these times call for much more.

My plan is to make this little piece of ground as productive as I am able...taking into account my physical limitations and finances. I will have some help along the way ..mostly from my children...but I will be pretty much on my own in the decision making and workload. I have a big garden space..a wonderful room for my pantry..established fruit trees..herbs..rhubarb etc...all the basics...So here goes!!

1 comment:

  1. You go Mom, You are a great writer and I know much fun this is going to be for you. I look forward to helping you on your journey, both online and off. The girls and I are here if you need us. Make it fun!!! Love ya Shelly

    ReplyDelete