Tuesday, February 2, 2010

If It's Tuesday It Must Be Bread Day

I love making bread...I have a couple of permanent customers who buy my bread every week...I do not possess a certified kitchen so my little enterprise is strictly under the radar. My customers don't care..they've been buying from me for quite some time now and all are still alive and kickin'...plus they think my bread is the bomb!!

The process of making bread is what I love...all the elements come together in such a satisfying and wholesome way...the interaction of the yeast and water with the honey and oil...alternating the flour and oatmeal...saving the addition of salt till the end of the mixing process so it won't inhibit the yeast...then the kneading.

Kneading is the best part...the tactal part...the dough is warm and so plyable in my hands...the cadence of push-turn...push-turn...I always end the process with a gentle slap...just like patting a baby's butt.

Bread rising requires patience and faith...can't be rushed...sometimes if my kitchen is really cold it can take a while...I fire up the oven before anything is started so it will help the dough along...then the rowdy punching down so I can shape the loaves and start the second rise...when the loaf sides are just above the edge of the pan in the oven they go for exactly 35 min...the smell is one of the all time great kitchen aromas!...then pop the finished loaves out and onto the cooling rack...if all the loaves are spoken for I have to restrain my urge to lop off the nearest heal... slather it with tons of butter and honey and make a pig of myself at the kitchen sink...Such a satisfying sight ..that beautiful bread sitting there...and such a wonderful way to spend a morning.

3 comments:

  1. Hi honey!
    I grew up in Coos Bay, North Bend, lived in Roseburg, Sutherlin, Hitch hiked through Winston and had a great time all the way to the California border.Empire , Charleston. yeah I know parts of Southern Oregon.
    You are on my Blogroll and thank you for stopping by.

    Phil Paul, Bustednuckles. aka, THE ORNERY BASTARD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your comment over at Busted's place and thought I would stop in and say hello. I will be adding you to my blogroll as well, if you don't mind!
    Oh, and there is absolutely nothing that beats the smell of of fresh baked bread. Heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post was so beautifully written, I can almost smell the bread right now. My mouth is watering!! Saw your comment over at "Stop Calling Me That," so I thought I'd stop by!

    ReplyDelete